Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Oliver Peoples X Balmain






Oliver Peoples is one of my favorite labels for sunglasses. When it comes to sunglasses, I find that even people who wouldn't usually shell out to buy luxury will save up for a pair of their favorite designer shades. Even in college, you can see frat guys with their hundred dollar Ray Bans and Dolce & Gabannas, but that may also be because I live in LA.

Similar to perfume, when I buy accessories it becomes even more important that I'm truly searching for a luxury niche item that not everyone has. Oliver Peoples has been around for a while and is known for designing really well made, solid, timeless shades. They're a quite company but what they lack in media noise, they make up for in a cult following amongst true eyewear aficionados.

Oliver Peoples frequently collaborates on 1-off collections with designers, and when they worked with Balmain, it was like a match made in heaven to me. I've long been a fan of Balmain but anyone who has been to one of their boutiques knows it is one of the most expensive. I am fairly certain the prices are even higher than Tom Ford and Givenchy.

The entire collection revolves around 3 pairs of reinterpreted aviator shades with a double bridge nose. When they were first released, they retailed at around $595, but I was able to buy a pair at Barneys over the summer for $150. A definite worthwhile item that will surely be a timeless piece in anyone's collection.

Oliver Peoples X Balmain ($150, Barneys)

No comments:

Post a Comment