Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Winter Skin Care Essentials


Let's face it, winter in LA is not a tough life but even slight drops in temperature and changes in air humidity can affect the skin. For me personally, winter is when my skin needs the most care. Everything is harsher and it doesn't help I usually spend my free time on the slopes in Colorado, visiting family in New York, or going on vacation to snow resorts in Europe. With all of this, it is so easy for skin to become irritated, depleted, and dehydrated. That is why when the seasons change, so too does my regimen. For my sensitive slightly oily skin, I pretty much figured out I can't use creams as they break me out but I have found many things to keep my skin properly moisturized and relieved.

1. Clark's Botanicals Deep Moisture Mask

Francesco Clark developed this line when he had an injury that caused a serious skin ailment where he had chronic breakouts. The entire line is derived from Jasmine Absolute which is gathered from one of my favorite flowers, Jasmine (as you can tell from my review of the Acqua di Parma Jasmine fragrance). Francesco believes the Jasmine is suitable for all skin types and provides a very balancing effect.

My favorite product is the Deep Moisture Mask, which is a must for post-slope skin recovery. Not only does it replenish moisture lost by the chill winds and snow, but it revitalizes appearance so skin is back to looking soft an radiant. It is the ultimate recovery product for ski/board addicts!

Sold by Clarks Botanicals for $72

2. REN Omega 3 Night Repair Serum

This light oil-based gel serum from the minimalist British brand, REN, is essential for nourishing and repairing skin overnight. In the winter, even as we sleep, skin is continually stripped of moisture from heaters and cold temperature, so the lipids and omega 3 really do their part to replenish skin to maintain its plumpness.

Sold by Ren Skincare for $60

3. YULI Liquid Courage

I've talked about it here before as a cleaner alternative to the cult product CE Ferulic Antioxidant Serum from Skinceuticals. Since then, it has become a skin care staple! Lately I've gotten into facial oils, and this brand does it right. Liquid Courage uses a base of botanical oils and then goes into superspeed with antioxidant actives and ferulic acid to give you the benefit of a hybrid of hydrating gorgeous facial oil and legitimate powerhouse skin serum. It is loaded with antioxidants which I believe are really important even in winter even with less sun because you're even ore exposed to the elements. The Vitamin E content is also really important for keeping skin soft against the cold.

Sold by YULI Skincare for $125

4.  kyoku for men Facial Moisturizer SPF 15

In the winter with less sun, I relax on the SPF a little bit, but I religiously apply it because you can still get UV damage from ice-glare. It is a little deceptive since it isn't as sunny or hot, but the UVs are still all around so it is really important to keep protected. This uses microparticle technology and is a moisturizer + sunscreen in one which is important because I hate applying a moisturizer and then a suncreen as it makes even the lightest lotions seem thick.

Sold by kyoku for $31

5. Weleda Skin Food

This is a god send for winter months to get rid of dry, rough patches especially along my elbows. Weleda is a very natural brand sold at Whole Foods who makes affordable all purpose skin care. I have a tube of this in my car and another in my bathroom, they're perfect when you're slightly dehydrated during the day or after showering to lock in moisture.

Sold by Weleda for $18.50

6. YULI Cocoon Elixir

My skin often gets redness during the winter. Especially if I'm going from snow to sitting in front of a fire, my skin kind of has a hard time balancing itself out. And then there are those times when you're working out but the air is so dry and cold that your pores just get confused. For all the irritation I get Cocoon Elixir is the perfect remedy. It is a soothing, calming natural mist that takes care of irritation and redness. Cocoon is such a perfect name for it because you really feel your skin is wrapped up in a healing cocoon of pure moisture. Perfect to heal skin that needs a break.

Sold by YULI for $36

7. Skyn Icelandic Relief Eye Cream

I have used so many brands of eye products! I find a lot of not natural brands to be irritating to my eyes, causing slight burning sensations so I quickly changed that by switching to natural products. After using an array of products that tightened my eyes or super-moisturized them, this was one product that just made my eyes feel 'calm'. For winter I think this could not be more important. What better skin care brand for winter than an Icelandic formulation? It glides on very easily and is not heavy. There is a wonderful tingle when you first apply it and overnight your eyes will feel hydrated and contoured without the feeling of tightness. It truly does make the area under eyes appear rested.

Sold by Skyn for $45

8. Brad Intensive Algae Concentrate Relief Serum

A concentrated "supreme healing" serum that will restore skin. I think this is perfect for winter in restoring luster to skin and providing it with the healing relief necessary. It uses a lot of herbs, flowers, and sea minerals to energize and restore skin and I found that it typically "recharges" my skin over night. Even when I come back from skiing looking like a burn victim, dabbing this with Liquid Courage works overnight to replenish my skin.

Sold by Brad for $153

No comments:

Post a Comment