Thursday, November 1, 2012

Maison Martin Margiela for H&M


I usually find H&M's collaborations with fashion houses to be hit or miss. I think it works really well when the fashion house in question is minimal (like Lanvin for H&M) instead of ornate (like Versace for H&M, which aged fast and is virtually unwearable in public the week it came out).


The Margiela for H&M collection is the perfect collaboration: it's edgy, but minimal, has character but is muted, to be more timeless. I took a look at the entire lookbook and I must say, the men's collection looked way more versatile and wearable than the womens which was a bit more "avant garde". This might be a first where I'm not so envious of the womens collection.


In recent years Margiela has been rather underwhelming without its namesake designer at the helm but this collection has it all, from universal minimalism to reknowned structural pieces. I think this is the right step for H&M, who has seen relatively disappointing debuts from collaborations with more colorful characters such as Anna Dello Russo, and whose red-hot Versace collaboration is the definition of tacky, fast-money fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment